St. Mary's of Michigan is proud to pioneer new procedures aimed at helping patients survive, thrive, recover faster, and enjoy world-class health care close to home. Among our "firsts" are:
- First open heart surgery took place September 1984 at St. Mary's of Michigan -- the only open heart surgery program to serve a 14-county region. This meant area residents no longer had to travel to distant hospitals for cardiac surgery. Since then, we have performed over 20,000 heart surgeries and continue to be a regional leader in cardiac care.
- First two-level lumbar spinal fusion procedure in the state. The procedure helps patients who are experiencing disabling leg and back pain from degenerative disc disease -- without the lengthier recovery times associated with traditional spinal fusion approaches.
- First artificial lumbar disc surgery
- First Mobi-C cervical disc prosthesis implantation in the state
- First X-Stop implant for spinal stenosis in the region
- First daVinci robotic surgery system north of Flint
- First CyberKnife north of Detroit and remains just one of two in the state